Monday, October 3, 2011

I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house, I saw a blackened ruin.


“A lover finds his mistress asleep on a mossy bank; he wishes to catch a glimpse of her fair face without waking her. He steals softly over the grass, careful to make no sound; he pauses, fancying she has stirred. He withdraws; not for worlds would he be seen. All is still. He again advances; he bends over her, a light veil rests on her features; he lifts it, bends lower; now his eyes anticipate the vision of beauty –warm and blooming, and lovely, in rest. How hurried was their first glance. But how they fix! How he starts! How he suddenly and vehemently clasps in both arms the form he dared not, a moment since, touch with his finger! He calls aloud a name and drops his burden and gazes on it wildly! He thus grasps and cries, because he no longer fears to waken by any sound he can utter-any movement he can make, he thought his love slept sweetly, he finds she is stone dead.”

People talk of the power of love like there is nothing in the world that could be greater than that. Love is what gives meaning to your life. Loves is what makes the stars shine brighter. Love is what makes the world go round.

I’ve never been in love. I don’t think I have what it takes to be in love. The whole process of the hurt and pain makes me shrivel up and I shut myself completely. I’ve never been in love and yet I cry like a small child when I hear the pain in Adele’s voice as she mourns for her lover. Her words echo in my head, her pain seeps into my heart and I burst out in a fresh round of tears. I lament for a feeling I never felt. And I am the girl who didn’t cry when she got needles put in her eye during her operation.

I like my life to be simple. I try to find ways to make myself more perceptible to the things I see around me. Love, however, just doesn’t seem to find a place in my otherwise undemanding existence, because of the simple reason that it asks for a lot. It takes too much from you and doesn’t promise anything in return. The fear of being bereft of it later makes me wary in the first place. So i busy myself with more important things in life.

3 comments:

  1. I love the first para. The description of the man finding out his lover is dead. Just beautiful!

    By the way, which Adele song? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    so many! i've been listening to her albums day in and day out. makes me so sad. i should be getting back to lady gaga soon! :|

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love isn't always pain, you know? Also, it's not like you've never been in love. Is it to say that the love you have for a friend or a relative or anyone any less pure/true than what you may have for your potential boy/girl friend?


    Just saying...


    Romanticized Love Is The Love Child Of The Media and Commerce.

    ReplyDelete