Monday, October 3, 2011

Deluminating One, Illuminating Another


Most of us need to seek refuge. A hideaway. It may be a book, a movie, music, a friend or a lover, or all of them. Under their wing you can look away from the reality that presses itself on your face.

A good book or a movie is a great way to drown yourself in another character’s life (and for most of us, it’s a relief that it is fictional). A character you could possibly relate to, whilst, paradoxically enough, constantly distance yourself from that figment. So you’re there, yet not there. Another advantage that both of them provide is that they are conclusive in nature. You know that by the time you finish your film, you will get your popcorn’s due. Because everything will be fine and no one will die (or maybe all of them will if you’re watching the wrong kind of movie). The point being, that it is conclusive, so you seal most of them with a kiss, a laugh or a tear. Don’t you think it would’ve been better if we knew what genre of movie our life was so that, in the least, we could maybe set the mood accordingly? That would have helped clean up so much of muck.

Just about now, writing down all that comes to my mind is my way of escape. It’s comforting since I have the assurance that no one else can read this unless I let them. However, no matter how rejuvenating that might be, I can’t help wonder how beneficial this dwelling upon ‘the unreal’ is. One ends up neglecting what is there and even if one does take notice, there is disappointment of not living a life that could be retold with zest.

So what is one to do? How do you find a perfect balance? Isn’t it more understandable to make most use of what you have with the ‘If life farts in your face, go help light up someone’s stove’ kind of enthusiasm, instead of holing up somewhere with your book? Not really. I’m a comfort seeker just like the next person. So if you’d tell me to pick between ice-cream and salad I would make the obvious choice. Sure, make a big deal out of one life that you live but seek repose in the fact that you can inhabit many at a time.


3 comments:

  1. I want to butter the Khattar in this comment :D [speaking purely in terms of flattering thee :S]. I can relate to almost everything you'v written and I came across quite a few lines that I loved! But I really like the way this came out - "Sure, make a big deal out of one life that you live but seek repose in the fact that you can inhabit many at a time." Likho, convent behen, likho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog ! I have this penchant for reading . And your work always grips me emotionally, one way or the other. :)
    Looking forward to ALL your posts ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you!
    there'll be more coming. :)

    ReplyDelete