Sunday, October 11, 2015

This Post Is Not About Me

"A kong-an is like a finger pointing at the moon. If you are attached to the finger, you don’t understand the direction, so you cannot see the moon. If you are not attached to any kong-an, then you will understand the direction. The direction is the complete don’t-know mind.
[…]
You must keep only don’t-know, always and everywhere. Then you will soon get enlightenment. But be very careful not to want enlightenment. Only keep don’t-know mind. Your situation, your condition, your opinions — throw them all away."
Though I'm not sure I interpreted it the right way, these words struck a chord with me. Especially now as I notice that most of my sentences are centered around "I". Everything around me is about me. 
I also wind up writing a lot about my limitations, which in turn brings limitations to my writing. Constant self-analysis causes paralysis.
One of the best things about fiction is that it can be made from scratch. I've never used the power to make something on my own - the freedom is as unnerving as it is inviting. Time to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment