Thursday, November 14, 2013

Mumbling #23

As I sit down to write these few words, my headphones introduce a familiar song to me: a song with which I associate a distinct memory from my past, a song, which I hope, will help me write what I wish to. I was gifted my first iPod when I was in tenth grade. Before that I used my mother’s old phone which was pretty useless otherwise, except for its radio. I would carry that phone around with me everywhere. Sweet song playlists were peppered with lovers who spoke of their heartaches at three o’ clock in the morning; lovers who had turned insomniacs.  
On some days when my head is too full of thoughts, a memory puts out its hand and a song fits in perfectly like a glove. Maybe it changes something of the memory- alters its accuracy, makes it more savory. I'd like to remember the way I want to. It's mine, after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment